Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day one- we found an injured puppy

I have never had a blog before. Before this I was just a college grad out of work and a stay home mom. I found my blogging spirit when I found a this adorable puppy. I want to share his story with you.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010- Day one.

I pulled in my driveway and saw a puppy walking up next to the road on the grass. He was too small to be out roaming by himself. I remember thinking... he is adorable! I got out of the car and walked over to the grass and kneaded down. I called for him and he wouldn't come. He dropped to the ground and went as flat as he could against it. He wagged his tail when I spoke to him and finally with a little encouragement he got up and came to me. I pulled out my cell phone and called my husband to tell him that I had found a puppy and while I was talking to him on the cell phone I noticed something was wrong with him. I rolled him over while petting him and noticed his private parts were injured. So, off to the vet we went.

We took him to the Commerce Veterinary Hospital and he told us he believed that someone had tried to castrate this puppy at home. The injuries were unknown at that point but looked like it would just be cosmetic surgery for him. His testicles had been removed and his penis sheath had been cut and his penis was dropped down and exposed almost as if someone had tried to circumcise the puppy too. We were told we could do surgery but the earliest for the surgery would be Thursday. The more we spoke to the vet the more it made sense to maybe wait and see if he could relieve himself on his own and if his penis was functional in this capacity then we could probably wait and do cosmetic surgery when he was older if we opted to. We were told what to look for and go from there, so, we went home with our nervous little friend.

When we got home he drank and drank water. He ate a bowl of dog food. He watched our inside cats nervously and laid flat on the the floor inside. He was friendly when spoken to but still unsure of what was going on. He finally went to the bathroom and my husband discovered that he was not utilizing his penis. His urine was coming out just below his anus in the back as a cow would relieve itself. So, we knew we would have to go back to the vet. Later that night my husband discovered a puddle behind the puppy as he slept, it appears he has bladder control issues as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment