Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day Three- The Bottom Line

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Up early and off to the vet we went. I arrived just after 8 am and the vet met me at the front desk. We spoke and I explained the injuries and he agreed... surgery needed to be preformed. My heart sank even though I knew it was coming. In the exam room an estimate was prepared and I was told that they would remove his penis and the sheath- not sure what it is called but I am beyond googling it this morning. They will make him an area like a little girl dogie. He is predisposed to urinary track infections and when I described how bad his urine smelled he told me he may already have one. This is going to be a hard surgery for him. He is going to be hospitalized through the weekend at least! I cry just thinking about it.

The vet told me they didn't know if he would ever have full bladder control and with this injury we don't know if he will get more urinary track infections because of the location of his urethra. It is located just below his anus... right where he sits down. So, there is little hope of finding him a good home... that is stable... where someone can take him to the vet as needed to get medicine for urinary track infections. With no bladder control no one will want him in their house and outside might pose more danger for him in the long run... at this point I am holding out little hope for finding him a future home. The surgery has to be done first and the healing then later a home... worse case ... we keep him and figure it all out in the long run. But all of that in due time... first we have to deal with the surgery! Please pray for this little puppy- we have not named him yet but he comes to anything you call him...

The vet told me as he showed me the estimate that this might be a bit of a shock... the estimate ended up being $1168.10 and this is just the estimate! I signed the paperwork and they agreed to let me make payments on this bill. I cried as I left the vet office not because of the bill but because this precious pup has to endure all of this. The part that gets me is if someone did this to me ... I think I would hate humans forever... he loves people!

I will get a call this afternoon telling me how the surgery went and I am anxious to hear how he is and what all they ended up doing to him. I will update this blog then!

I have had a friends tell me to set up some sort of paypal donate bar and I have... it is located on this blog.

I will gladly document all payments received and payed on this puppies behalf!

Also, I am including more pics of him and his injuries and the bill~

1 comment:

  1. Dawn, this is the saddest story. I wish we could take him in but we can't right now. I will donate to help with the vet costs. It is such a great thing you are doing for him!

    ReplyDelete