Thursday, January 21, 2010

Update on Surgery- Unexpected diagnosis

Thursday, January 21, 2010, 12pm

I just got a call from the vet office. He pulled through surgery and all went well! But I was just told something that made my jaw drop... this puppy was not butchered like we (including the vet) had thought... instead he is a hermaphrodite! He did not develop properly and had multiple parts. It was born this way. Which as the doctor said, "restores my faith in humanity". It makes me feel so much better about this world and I feel a lot safer living on my street!

Because of these medical issues he basically had a sex change operation and had changes made to his urinary system. The vet told me that he may never have full bladder control and yes, he will still be predisposed to urinary track infections so continual treatment will be necessary! The charges will be decreased about $300 off the total bill of almost $1200... so we are still looking at a $900 give or take bill. The good news is it was less invasive surgery than anticipated!

The doctor had diagnosed him with what he believed to be the case on Tuesday and today during surgery the real reason for his disfigurement was found out. I did not mean to mislead anyone- this new diagnosis was a shock to us all. I will post more pics when I am able to get him!

They will call me in the next day or two to let me know how he is and when they think he can come home. I am thrilled it is over with and he is on the road to recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment